Thursday, November 29, 2007

Multi-directional knitting

Some months ago I knitted this multi-directional waistcoat in a Lang Yarn. I've worn it quite a few times when teaching workshops or giving talks about knitting and have been asked for the pattern which I haven't written up yet.

I have decided to re-knit the design in Noro Silk Garden Lite before witing the pattern as Noro yarns, as well as being beautiful, are also more readily available than the Lang yarn. I thought I would log the progress of this re-knit on my blog so here is the first picture.

As you can see in the picture I've knitted the upper part of the back, divided for the back neck and started to knit the right front. I'll add another picture when I get to the short row shaping at the bottom of the right front.

A bit of a hiatus

I have had a bit of a break from writing this blog as i have been very busy this autumn. This time of year is usually busy with teaching workshops and talks to knitting groups and guilds but I was also offered some commission work as well at the beginning of October.

I was contacted by Angels the Costumiers to make some jumper for a show. I thought it would be an interesting challenge to do the work. It was interesting and also proved to be a bit more of a challenge than originally anticipated. Initially I was asked to knit 2 jumpers (machine knitting) and some extra rib fabrics to attach to fabric to look like jumpers. They wanted everything knitted in very fine yarn so even the rib pieces took longer than expected. Then part way through making the pieces they asked if I could do 2 more sets of rib bits and could I also do duplicates of everything!

On top of all the teaching work it was a bit stressful but I got all the work done so now I can get back to all the other things I put off in the meantime.