Thursday, November 27, 2008

Finding design inspiration

As well as teaching a range of knitting techniques workshops I also teach City and Guilds Design and Craft courses in both hand and machine knit textiles. On this course design is as important as the craft skill so I encourage student to always keep looking for design sources - anything that interested them visually.

My current mobile phone does have a good camera in it but I keep forgetting that I can use it. When going into Fareham town centre I frequently walk past the multistory car park. Several years ago when the council was spending money to smarten up the town centre they installed these blue railings around the lower level of the car park.


I've always found them interesting. As I was walking past them this week I was thinking about the C&G course and thought they would make an interesting starting point under the design theme of line so I decided to take some photographs.








Whether I get around to doing something with the images is another matter but I thought it might be helpful to my students to remind them you can find inspiration anywhere if you just look.

No comments: